Rationale: high in fiber, high in protein, easy, gluten free, post-workout snack, breakfast
Variations: substitute any other milk, use frozen spinach (you won’t taste the spinach and it’s loaded with vitamin A and C), use chia seeds or sesame seeds instead of flax seeds
Serving suggestions: If using as a post-workout treat, don’t forget to have a big glass of water with it. Share with a friend to cut calories in half if your workout was short.
- 1 banana, peeled (~4 oz.)
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 Tbsp flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (the unsweetened baking kind)
- handful of ice
- ~ 1/2 cup water (enough to get the right consistency)
- If you worked out today – add 1/2 scoop IDLife* vanilla protein powder (or other protein powder, avoid powders with whey -cow’s milk protein- if you are gassy…just saying)
Put all the ingredients in a blender. Turn the blender on and ramp it up to high for ~15-30 seconds. Add more ice or water until you get your preferred consistency
* IDLife protein powder is honestly the best protein powder I’ve ever had and I’ve had a LOT of protein powders in my life. I actually like it so much that my husband and I stopped buying any others and now we distribute it! Let me know if you are interested in getting some for yourself!
Makes 1 serving.
Nutrition per serving for 1 serving: (Divide by 2 if sharing)
- Calories: 206
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 9g
- Fiber: 10g
- Iron: 20% RDA