Rationale: Balancing three 2 oz portions of vegetables with two 2 oz portions of fruit gives you lots of vitamins and fiber while keeping sugar content low. Keywords: high in fiber, high in protein, easy, gluten free, post-workout snack, breakfast
Variations: substitute any other milk; green leafy vegetable options: spinach, kale, mixed salad greens, Swiss chard, beet or turnip greens; other veggie options: cucumbers, beets, pumpkin, etc; other fruit options: berries, peaches, pineapple, etc. Some combinations work better than others so I’ll keep posting some of my favorites.
Serving suggestions: If using as a post-workout treat, don’t forget to have a big glass of water with it. Share with a friend to cut calories in half if your workout was short.
- 2 oz carrot
- 2 oz celery
- 2 oz spinach (or other green leafy vegetable)
- 2 oz oranges
- 2 oz apples
- 1 tsp (half the size of your thumb) chunk of fresh ginger, optional
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/2 scoop IDLife* vanilla protein powder (or other protein powder, avoid powders with whey -cow’s milk protein- if you are gassy…just saying)
- handful of ice
- water (enough to get the right consistency)
Put all the ingredients in a blender. Turn the blender on and ramp it up to high for ~15-30 seconds. Add more ice or water until you get your preferred consistency.
Makes 1 serving.
Yes, cutting up all your veggies for a healthy smoothie (and salad, shown on the top) can take a few minutes so why not make 3 or more servings at a time? This will not only save you time, it will encourage you to keep eating your veggies throughout the week.
Spinach/leafy greens were not added yet when this picture was taken. 2 oz of greens would hide everything, that’s a lot of greens!
* IDLife protein powder is honestly the best protein powder I’ve ever had and I’ve had a LOT of protein powders in my life. I actually like it so much that my husband and I stopped buying any others and now we distribute it! Let me know if you are interested in getting some for yourself!
Nutrition per serving for 1 serving:
- Calories: 216
- Fat: 2g
- Protein: 17g
- Fiber: 10g
- Iron: 18% RDA