Rationale: high in fiber, high in protein, easy, make-ahead, leftovers make a great lunch, gluten free
Variations: use a different bean, use brown rice (or yellow rice) instead of quinoa
Serving suggestion: serve as a main dish or a side dish, in our house it’s likely to get served with a green leaf salad and a fruit on the side.
- 2 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 3 ears corn, kernels removed (or two cups frozen corn, thawed)
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, seeded, and diced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 2 cups cooked black beans, or one 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 6 green onions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
- Zest of one lime and juice of 2 limes
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Chill for 1 hour before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving for 4 servings:
- Calories: 334
- Fat: 4g
- Protein: 15g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sugar: 6g
- Iron: 21% RDA