Rationale: high in protein, make-ahead, leftovers make a great lunch, gluten free, freezes well
Variations: use broccoli, green beans or peas instead of snow peas, use chick peas instead of tofu.
Serving suggestions: Serve with a salad like my Thai Salad With Peanut Sauce and fresh mango for dessert!
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 2 Tbsp red chili paste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- ½ Tbsp lemongrass paste (or half a stalk) – optional
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 12 oz white or portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz fancy snow peas, cut in half diagonally
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14oz can full fat coconut milk + 1 can water
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ Tbsp miso paste (optional)
- 24 oz extra firm tofu
- 2 limes, juiced
- handful of fresh spinach – optional
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
In a very large soup pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the rest of the aromatic ingredients and sauté until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile chop the veggies. Add the veggies to the pot and sauté about 6-8 minutes.
Next, add in all the broth ingredients, except for the miso paste. In a small cup, add about 1/2 cup of the warm broth and stir in the miso paste, until dissolved. Now, add to the pot and stir to combine.
Turn the heat up to medium high and allow it to cook for another 5 minutes, but do not allow it to boil. Once thoroughly heated, turn to low and add the conclusion ingredients. Allow to cook just long enough to heat the tofu.
Serve hot, topped with extra chopped cilantro, spinach, mung beans sprouts or even a few crushed peanuts (all optional)!
Makes 10 servings. (Freeze whatever you don’t save for lunch tomorrow)
Nutrition per serving for 10 servings (without any optional toppings):
- Calories: 127
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 6g
- Iron: 10% RDA